Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bookish Thinkings

My mind is back in the literary zone again, and as soon as I'm finished editing an author friend's manuscript, it's on to the Seers sequel. I've already gotten a ton of it written, but I realize now, after having stepped back and examined the thing properly, just how much needs to be edited. This is good. Now I know more clearly both where things have been and where they're going. Also, stepping away from a book also gives you the fresh air you need to recognize plot issues and glaring problems that you were too close to notice before.

The sequel. That's a scary notion. People have certain expectations after you write a book that the sequel will follow whatever lines they imagine, and that is not often the case, so it should be interesting to see if people will go with the flow. I swear things will work out for the best, though, folks. They always do.

By the way, I was completely tickled today to get an email from one of my reader friends saying that her husband is intimidated by her having a William Maddox (Seers of Light character) wallpaper on her computer, but she refuses to take it down.

*laughs uproariously*

That is too fantastic for words. Love it. Go Maddox! This just drives home how absolutely cool you guys are. I'll tell you, my readers are in my heart. You don't even know how much I appreciate you guys. I wish I could give you all passionate kisses, but for now I'll have to settle for pouring my love out via blog posts. *LOVES!*

On a side note, one of the biggest questions I get from friends and family is "So, what are your books sales?!" And I always answer them the same way. "I don't know. I don't ask." It really irks some folks and totally perplexes others, understandably, that I don't constantly keep tabs on this, but the fact is that my publication company is brand new and my book so freshly on the market that I'd be a fool to obsess over sales at this point. My measurement of success will be in the reaction from readers more than numbers on a page. I figure, if I continue to work my ass off like I have been and keep the faith, good things will happen. Besides, the energy I've already gotten in response has been wonderful.

I'm thankful to those who have read Seers of Light and continue to share the love of Lily's world with the people in their lives, because more than half the battle is getting readers to notice your book enough to read it in the first place. From what I've surmised, surviving this profession will likely depend on how aware one is of certain points: For one, as an author, you are one of many. You can't even imagine, unless you've jumped into this publishing thing yourself, how very many authors there are in the world. A TON, I'm telling you. And we're all just trying to catch a break. And two, you need patience. The process of putting yourself and your work out there is a slow progression, an uphill climb that I doubt gets you anywhere without equal parts vigilance, constant self-improvement, relentless optimism, a good nature and lots and lots of heart.

So, if you know someone who is an author, do them a favor and buy their book, will you? And tell a friend. Karma will repay you tenfold, I promise.

Peace out, dear ones,
Jen

No comments: