Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Love Day

Now how could I pass up the chance to blog about love? I mean, honestly. This is me we're talking about here.

V-Day. The big V. Some of us dread it, some of us float around on a cloud of infatuated bliss throughout its entirety. I fit somewhere comfortably in the middle. See, I used to abhor Valentine's Day, and though my feelings have definitely softened, I acknowledge that it's a commercial holiday that seems to propagate laziness in a partner by spreading the belief that all it takes is some chocolate and some flowers from the nearest grocer and voila! Romantic obligations to the supposed most important person in your life are fulfilled.

I can't accept the "buy my love" thing. I think it's archaic and stone-aged. A woman doesn't need a man to present her shiny things to win her over. We're more evolved than that, and long passed the age of needing our Encino men to bring us fresh Woolly Mammoth before we'll mate with them.

BUT...that doesn't mean that the guys are off the hook. Signs of respect and romantic affection are wonderful things, and there are ways to express this without a cop-out. Write a love letter or a song, take her to her favorite venue for a show, cook her dinner, arrange for a babysitter and make it a quiet night at home, etc. That kind of thing sticks with people... especially female people.

In the mean time, V-Day is for everyone, paired up or otherwise, no matter what the commercials for Trojans say. I think a day to celebrate love is much needed about now. So go out and be annoying and hug as many people as possible... to hell with fear of PDA.

And before I go, I'll leave you with something that sums it up like only The Beatles could:


No comments: