Saturday, January 16, 2010

I salute you

I just sent the final draft of Seers of Light back to the Managing Editor. You know what that means, folks? Next step is print and Kindle books and the miracle of my little story seeing the light of day!

And so, it's time I thanked those special people who drown themselves in the technical in order to make an author look brilliant (or at least, half-way acceptable, lol!)

Editors. Oh, God bless and have pity on them. I have been in both sets of shoes, mind you. I've been the writer AND the editor, depending on the day, and I thank God for that opportunity, because without that experience I would have no idea just how under-appreciated a good editor is.

First, my book went through the throes of my own anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive perfecting (as well it should). Then, I worked with a Developmental Editor who helped to polish punctuation/grammar, beef up little plot points with goose-bump inducing ideas, and generally encourage me beautifully along the way. She'll forever be my dear friend, I can promise you this.

And then, last but not least, it was on to the Managing Editor, who is an entire wealth of necessity and skilled-eyes that I could only strive to be. Managing Editors catch those things that a writer would never even think about... like politically incorrect language or a tiny overall inconsistency in wording.

I honestly don't know what I'd do without my wonderful editors. Knowing how much work and time goes into preparing a manuscript for publication, I can only hope that any author reading this blog takes the time to thank their editor, because they likely don't hear it enough.

Blessings,
Jen

No comments: